If you would like to
share some of your favorite pictures/postcards,
please email me anytime! Thank you very much!
Note: Most of
the pictures are thumbnails...please click on them for a larger image.
All pictures were taken by Janine Crandell, unless otherwise noted.
Soldiers and Sailors Monument
Dedicated: October 6, 1899 by President William McKinley
Sculptor: Frederick "Fritz" Triebel (1865-1944)
Granite base/shaft quarried in New England
Bronze figures cast in Pistojo, Italy, in 1898
Height: 68 feet
The idea for the 1899 "Soldiers and Sailors Monument"
began in 1892 with the Ladies' Memorial Day Association. As the Civil War
veterans ranks grew thinner and the passion of patriotism seemed to be waning
Association president Lucie B. Tyng wrote, "It came into the hearts of those who
were left to build a soldier's monument in our city which would last for all
time, and tell our children and children's children our loving gratitude to
these brave men who took their lives in their hands and went forth to vindicate
and sustain our government in its hour of peril. "
Fritz Triebel, internationally-recognized native
Peorian, was contacted at his studio in Rome, Italy, and commissioned to create
the monument in 1893. He also served as Superintendent of Sculpture at the
World's Columbian Exposition in Chicago that year.
The Ladies' Memorial Day Association raised forty
thousand dollars from various picnic fund-raisers, children's penny drives, the
Peoria county Board of Supervisors, the City of Peoria, and the Martin Kingman
This site was chosen because it was where the famous
Abraham Lincoln and Stephen Douglas encounter occurred in October 1854, and
where Peoria's 1866 War Memorial once stood.
Defense of the flag
Triebel named his sculpture "Defense of the Flag" and
wrote in 1896:
Defense of the flag has six
figures with the central figure been the captain cheering his companions and
holding high the union colors after a successful battle.
The cruel ball wounds the
lieutenant who falls on the arm of his Captain.
The drummer boy gently
protects with one hand his wounded officer while the other has drawn his pistol
ready to fire on the fleeing enemy.
Back of the drummer Boy is
an infantry-man ready to shoot while the trumpeter gives the signal to repose
arms as the battle is won.
The other figure is the
At the southern side stands the classic heroic figure
of a woman with her pen poised writing "We will write on page of granite what
they wrought on field of battle." Named "History," but popularly known as
"Columbia," the trade figure was posed for by Triebel's wife, Santina. The title
of the statue is "History Writing the Scroll of Fame. " A second casting of her
can be found on the Mississippi State War Memorial Monument in Vicksburg.
An American bald eagle with an eleven-foot wing spread
is perched atop a globe at the tip of the granite shaft. A tin box containing
1890's artifacts was placed in the Globe and a copper box of similar items was
buried in the granite base.
List of Names Inscribed on the Monument
President William McKinley and staff
visiting Peoria for the dedication
of the Soldiers & Sailors Monument on Courthouse Square in 1899
submitted by Steve Slaughter
Jubilee College two miles to the north was established by
Philander Chase, First Protestant Episcopal Bishop of Illinois, as one of the
state's early institutions of higher learning. First students were received in
1840 and the school continued until 1868. Jubilee College is now a state park.
Robert Ingersoll, an "advanced thinker",
was considered one of the greatest orators of his time.
The statue was unveiled at Glen Oak Park on October 28, 1911. Thousands of
people from all
over the U. S. were there, including the widow of Colonel Robert Ingersoll and
Charles Frederick Adams, great grand-son of John Quincy Adams, gave a speech at
Christopher Columbus Statue in Laura
Sculptor: Alfons Pelzer
Manufacturer: W. H. Mullens Co. Salem, Ohio
Dedicated: Oct. 15, 1902
Rededicated: Oct. 13, 1984
Renovation by Sunderland Associates
Click on the
Pimiteoui meaning "Fat Lake." Illinois
Indian name for Peoria Lake.
Here passed Jolliet and Marquette in 1673.
Established near the lake were Ft. Creve Coeur 1680;
Ft. St. Louis 1691-92; Old Peoria's Fort and Village 1730;
Peoria's 1778; Ft. Clark, 1813;
French Trading House "Opa Post" before 1818.
Americans settled on the site of the city of Peoria in 1819.
Click on the
Plaque signifying the position of home-plate
on the former athletic field of the Bradley Univ. campus.
corrections, or suggestions would be deeply appreciated!
Copyright © Janine Crandell & all contributors
All rights reserved