Harker's Corners Cemetery
Harker's Corners cemetery is located in Logan Township in Section 36. From the City of Bartonville, take County Route 4 miles to Lancaster Road. Turn right on Harkers Corner Rd. At the junction of Harkers Corner Rd & Camelot Drive, cemetery sits at the top of the hill. There is a path but this is very slick in rain & winter driving conditions. Twin brick posts with iron gate mark the cemetery...directions by Steve Slaughter.
"James Harker who came to Illinois in 1829, donated a parcel of land for burial purposed known as Harker's Cemetery, located 11 miles southwest of Peoria, 8 miles south of Hanna City, 7 miles northeast of Glasford and 6 miles north of Mapleton.
The first burial in 1836 was Mrs. Margaret Houghtaling.
year, 1931, a new fence was made in less than one day around the cemetery by
descendants of the early pioneers families of this community. This fence was
made complete by the donation of the beautiful gate at the entrance as a
memorial to John Harker, by his grand-daughter, Mrs. Addie Harker Barret, of
(excerpt from the book Inscriptions of 58 Cemeteries by Ruth Crim, Winona
Pfander and Margaret Herberger)
Above picture by
Janine Crandell, taken in Dec. 2004.
Any contributions, corrections, or suggestions would be deeply appreciated!
Copyright © Janine
Crandell & all contributors
All rights reserved