Chillicothe City Cemetery
cemetery is located in the city of Chillicothe. The land on which this city
cemetery sits was purchased from the government by Charles Jck on November 3,
1840. At some point, the land was purchased by Henry Truitt. Mr. Truitt served
two terms as Mayor of Chillicothe and was the father of local banking in
Chillicothe. In August of 1854, the city of Chillicothe purchased this land from
the Truitt family for the purpose of a burial ground. The purchase price was
$1.00. Within ten years, it became apparent to the city fathers additional land
was needed for the cemetery. More land was acquired as follows:
In 1864 Henry Truitt sold land to the city to use as a burial ground for $100.
In September 1927, approximately 3 acres of land was purchased from Maud and Edwin Bradley for the sum of $1,500.
In January 1955, an additional 2.16 acres were purchased from Maud and Edwin Bradley for $2,195.32.
In January 1967, 3.532 acres was bought from the widow Maud Bradley for $7,064.
Photo by Janine
transcribed by Gaile Thomas, with additional research!
SPECIAL THANKS to Randy
Jackson and all the research he has done on the Chillicothe Cemetery
and sincere thanks to Randy's wife, Sue, for sharing his research!
|SECTION E||SECTION F||SECTION G|
Any contributions, corrections, or suggestions would be deeply appreciated!
Copyright © Janine
Crandell & all contributors
All rights reserved