If you would like to share biographies with fellow researchers, please email me anytime!
Thank you so much!
|John Reed||William Robinson|
|Charles Rindfleisch||George Rogers|
|W. W. Rhoades||George Runnels|
|John Robbins||Leslie Rutherford|
|Charles Roberts||Minney Rynearson|
|H. C. Roberts||more to come...|
JOHN REED was born in
Northumberland, England, February 28th, 1806. He left England, April 8th, 1844,
and arrived in Peoria, June 22d, with little money in his possession. He lived
in Peoria five years, and, by hard work and carefulness, he laid by some money.
He bought two lots, on which he made a home. But finally, wishing to live a
farmer's life, he sold out in Peoria and bought a farm in Rosefield township, on
which he settled, and is still living there. He was married, August 14th, 1848,
to Mrs. Mary Meek, widow of John Meek, who died in Vandalia, Illinois in 1844,
by whom he had no children.
Mrs. Reed raised eleven children by her former husband, and is to be praised for her efforts to instruct them properly. Mr. and Mrs. Reed are a pleasant old couple, and are going down the path of life together. Success go with them. (Atlas Map of Peoria County, Illinois, 1873, page 81, submitted by Kup Fercell)
Charles Rindfleisch is the mayor of Hanna City, now serving for his third term, and to the discharge of the duties of the office he brought the same spirit of carefulness, enterprise and integrity that has characterized his business career. He has resided here for eight years, establishing his home in this district about the time the village was incorporated. His birthplace was a farm in Cuyahoga county, Ohio, near Cleveland, and his natal day was March 25, 1861. His parents, Frederick and Angie Rindfleisch, were both native of Germany but the mother died when her son Charles was only sever years of age. His youthful days were spent upon the home farm near Cleveland where he remained until he had attained his majority, working in the fields through the summer months and acquiring his education during the winter seasons in the public schools. When he had reached manhood he decided to seek his fortune in another quarter and in 1882 came to Peoria county, where he began to work as a farm hand for Val Ulrich with whom he continued for two years. On the expiration of that period he removed to Cheyenne county, Kansas, where he homesteaded a farm. There he lived for ten years, after which he returned to Peoria and rented a farm in Logan township, from his brother Fred, who is now deceased. This property was situated about a mile from Hanna City. He continued its cultivation for two years, after which he rented the James Bowling farm in Limestone township, upon which he lived for three years. He afterward worked in the dairy of O. J. Bailey for two years and then came to Hanna City where he has now resided for eight years or almost continuously since the incorporation of the town. He is now proprietor of the restaurant here and also purchased the grain elevator which he has since operated. His business activities as well as his official service make him a leading and representative citizen.
In 1892 Mr. Rindfleisch was united in marriage in Kansas to Miss Mary Gallup and they now have two children, George and Ida, both at home. The family are well known in the locality where they reside and have a large circle of friends who entertain for them warm regard. Mr. Rindfleisch is a member of the Modern Woodmen camp and is loyal to the teachings of that order. He is popular with his fellow townsmen who manifest their confidence in his ability and in his public-spirited citizenship by choosing him for the position of chief executive of the town, a position which he has occupied for six years. (Peoria, City and County, Illinois (1912) pages, 276-277, submitted by Diane Minor)
Back to top
W. W. RHOADES. W. W. Rhoades, serving for the
second term as chief of police of Peoria, has in the discharge of his official
duties instituted various reforms and modern improvements which have largely
promoted the efficiency of the service. As a public officer his course has won
wide indorsement from law-abiding citizens, the consensus of public opinion
regarding his record being altogether favorable.
Mr. Rhoades is one of the residents that Pennsylvania has furnished to Peoria, his birth having occurred in Phoenixville of the former state on the 29th of March, 1867. His father, William F. Rhoades, was descended from English and German ancestry but the family has been so long represented on this side of the Atlantic that it has become thoroughly American in thought, spirit and purpose. William F. Rhoades was engaged in the hotel business throughout his entire life. He wedded Mary Morgan, also a native of Pennsylvania, and unto them were born seven children, of whom six are yet living, four sons and two daughters. The parents were residents of Chester county, Pennsylvania, until called to their final home.
In the schools of his native city W. W. Rhoades pursued his education and was twenty-three years of age when, in 1890, he came to Peoria. He was a potter by trade and for ten years followed that pursuit in this city, on the expiration of which period he engaged with the Acme Harvester Company, which he represented here for two years. He entered into his connection with the police department without any previous knowledge of or experience in work along this line but the natural resourcefulness of the man, his determination to "make good," and his fidelity to the obligations devolving upon him have made him an officer whose record is above reproach. He was called to the office of chief, of police in May, 1903, as the successor of Mr. Kennedy and remained at the head of the department for two years. He then retired at the change of administration and became connected with the sheriff's office as deputy, so continuing until May, 1909. At that date he was again called to the office of chief of police, which position he has since filled. He has bent his energies to the improvement of the department in many ways, has installed a new flash light system, motor driven vehicles have taken the place of the old patrol wagons and the civil service plan has been adopted. He has given special attention to the personality of the men on the force, endeavoring to install as patrolmen such men as will make duty paramount to all else. He has likewise increased and perfected the detective department and his work on the whole has won him high commendation and encomiums.
In 1892, in Peoria, Mr. Rhoades was united in marriage to Miss Emma Heitzman, a daughter of Albert Heitzman, who was at one time a tailor of Peoria but is now deceased. Three children have been born of this marriage: Inez and Ethel, twins; and Marjorie. In his fraternal relations Mr. Rhoades is a prominent Mason, having attained the thirty-second degree in the Scottish Rite. He belongs also to the Modern Woodmen Camp, the Maccabees Tent and the Royal Arcanum Lodge, and finds in their beneficent teachings the high principles and rules which govern his conduct and shape his relations with his fellowmen. He has always given his political allegiance to the republican party and is a firm believer in its principles as effective forces in good government, yet he ever places patriotism before partisanship and the general welfare before individual aggrandizement. (Peoria, City and County, Illinois (1912) by James M. Rice, pages 286-287 & 289, submitted by Janine Crandell)
Back to top
JOHN W. ROBBINS. John W. Robbins is an old settler of this county, and an early pioneer of Timber Township, with whose interests he has been variously and prominently connected for many years. He is now one of its leading farmers and has here a large and valuable farm. His portrait will be noticed on the opposite page.
Our subject comes of sturdy New England ancestry, and is himself a native of that section of the country, born October 9, 1818, in the town of Acton, county of Middlesex, Mass.; his parents, Bennah and Mary (Lampson) Robbins, were also natives of that town. His father was a son of Densmore Robbins, who was killed while teaming lumber from New Hampshire; he left a widow and the following children: Densmore, Joseph, Albe, John, Bennah, 2d., Lucy and Eunice, all of whom married and reared families. The great-grandfather of our subject came from England and the Lampson family came from Scotland. To Bennah and Mary Robbins were born eight children, one of whom died in infancy, the others grew to maturity, and of them the following is recorded: Francis is a resident of Massachusetts; Hannah, Mrs. Hill, lives in Peoria; Mary is deceased; Uriah died in or near Pella, Iowa, leaving a family of two sons and three daughters; Lucy died in infancy; John W. is the subject of this notice; Joseph was killed in a cotton factory in Lowell, Mass.; Horace, a resident of Quincy Point, Mass., is an inventor. Their parents, who were people of exceedingly great worth and high character, died in their New England home in Massachusetts. They were faithful members of the Congregational Church.
He of whom we write passed the early years of his life on a farm in his native place and was thoroughly drilled in the best methods of carrying on agriculture and gained an excellent education in the common schools. He was ambitious to try life in the West and in the month of May, 1838, started on the eventful journey from Boston, coming by the way of Philadelphia to Pittsburg, Pa., thence by river to Alton, Ill. For eighteen months he worked at the trade of a cooper in that city, and on the 22d of June came to Lancaster, Timber Township, from Pekin. He worked as a cooper there for several years and then engaged in the mercantile business for some eighteen years. In the meantime he prudently saved his money and invested it judiciously and had acquired considerable property, when in the month of November, 1865, he located on the farm in Timber Township, which he had purchased before, and where he now resides. It comprises two hundred and forty acres of very fertile land, which he has placed under excellent improvement; he owns besides two hundred and eighty acres in Fulton County; and a forty-acre tract in Timber Township, all of which is cleared and under first-class cultivation, with the exception of about twenty-seven acres. Our subject has experienced many ups and downs in the acquirement of his property. When in Peoria he lost $14,000 in the hay business in 1865, and lost all of his possssions excepting the place on which he now lives. When he first came to the State he landed at Alton with but $5 in his pocket. He has increased that until he is now numbered amongst the moneyed men of Timber Township, by the exercise of those faculties that mark him as a shrewd, keen sighted, capable man of business.
Mr. Robbins and Miss Charlotte A. Fahenstock were united in the happy bonds of wedlock, September 3, 1846, and in her our subject has found one who fills the perfect measure of wife, mother and friend. Mrs. Robbins is a native of Adams County, Pa., and is a daughter of Jacob and Maria (Harmon) Fahenstock. Mr. and Mrs. Robbins have had six children born to them, namely: Bennah, who served in the Eleventh Illinois Cavalry during the late war; Louis A., Clarence A.; Abbie L., wife of Leman Rice; Maria, wife of Orra Chamberlin; and John W., who died in infancy.
Mr. Robbins holds a high place in the estimation of his fellow-citizens, as he possesses those attributes of character that command the confidence and regard of all who come in contact with him either in a business or social way. Those traits of character that have brought him prosperity also make him useful as a public official and he has served with distinction as a member of the County Board of Supervisors and as Justice of the Township. For several years he was Postmaster of Lancaster, and was very popular in that capacity. He is a sturdy adherent of the Democratic party and possesses shrewd and intelligent opinions on all political questions. (Portrait & Biographical Album of Peoria, Illinois (1890), pages 659-660, submitted by Gaile Thomas)
Back to top
CHARLES A. ROBERTS. Charles A. Roberts,
who since 1898 has filled the position of clerk of the probate court, at Peoria,
was born in Yates City, Illinois, on the 10th of August, 1862. He came from New
England ancestry, the parents, Charles and Caroline (Metcalf) Roberts, both
being natives of Maine. The father devoted a quarter of a century to the
profession of school teaching, spending that time in Maine, New York and in
Iowa. During the period of his residence in this county he held a number of
school offices, serving as school treasurer of Salem township for twenty-five
years. He likewise filled the office of police magistrate for twenty years and
in that position he rendered decisions that were strictly fair and impartial.
His public service was ever characterized by faithfulness to duty that was above
question, and wherever he was known he commanded the respect, confidence and
good-will of those with whom he came in contact.
Charles A. Roberts pursued his education in the public schools of his native city and no event of special importance occurred to vary the routine of life for him through the period of his minority. He started out to earn his own living in 1881 when nineteen years of age, becoming telegraph operator of the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy line, at Canton, Illinois. He remained there for three years, after which he was appointed agent at Elmwood, where he continued for a year and a half. On the expiration of that period he secured the position of superintendent of the stock yards at Quincy, Illinois, where he remained for three years and then again went to Elmwood, where the succeeding decade was passed in the position of station agent and telegraph operator. He left that place in Peoria, having been made clerk of the probate court in the election of 1898. Previous to that time the office had never been a paying one but he placed it upon a profitable basis and has been the worthy incumbent in that position to the present time. He was called to this office as a candidate of the republican party, of which he has always been a supporter since age conferred upon him the right of franchise. He is careful, methodical and systematic in the discharge of his duties, which are always performed with a sense of conscientious obligation that has made his record a most creditable one.
In Quincy, Illinois, in 1889, Mr. Roberts was united in marriage to Miss Mary Woolcott, of that city, and unto them have been born two children, Seacorde and Woolcott. Mr. Roberts has become well known in political circles and in other connections and has gained a large circle of warm friends among those who recognize his sterling worth. (Peoria, City and County, Illinois (1912) by James M. Rice, pages 797-798, submitted by Janine Crandell)
Back to top
H. C. ROBERTS. The leaders are few. The great
majority of men are content to follow in the paths that others have marked out.
Only here and there is found one who has the initiative to venture beyond the
point that others have reached and branch out into broader fields where favoring
opportunity leads the way. H. C. Roberts, however, is one whose even-paced
energy and sound judgment have brought him into prominent business relations and
in enlarging the scope of the great productive industry with which he is
connected he has shown much of the pioneer spirit in formulating new plans which
with the assistance of his fellow officers he has been able to carry forward to
successful completion in the control and management of the Avery Company, of
which he is the vice president. Theirs is the leading manufacturing plant of
Peoria devoted to the building of farm implements and traction engines. Mr.
Roberts entered into active connection with this business as an employe, but
gradually worked his way upward until long since he has had voice in its
He was born upon a farm in Henry county, Illinois, in 1857. His father, N. K. Roberts, became a soldier of the Civil war and was one of the thousands that marched to the scene of conflict. The boy went to live with his grandfather who was a prominent farmer of Henry county and there spent his boyhood days, attending the country schools and meeting with such experiences as usually fall to the lot of the lad who is reared on the farm. He started out for himself, eager to make his way in the world, and practically his first steady position was with R. H. & C. M. Avery, then located in Galesburg, given over to the manufacture of farm implements and agricultural machinery. He began work in the erection shop and later went upon the road as an expert, being sent all over the country to demonstrate and put in operation the machinery which was made by them at that time. Subsequently he went upon the road as a salesman and occupied that position for about twenty years, making good at every point. He was afterward promoted to the position of sales manager and in 1905 became vice president of the company. The business was established by R. H. and C. M. Avery at Galesburg but after some years was removed to Peoria where it has steadily grown. The plant has been enlarged from time to time and is a most extensive one, covering twenty-seven acres with six and a half acres of floor space in its principal buildings. It is thoroughly equipped with the latest improved machinery and is now devoted to the manufacture of farm implements and traction engines, in which connection employment is furnished to twelve hundred skilled mechanics. It was in December, 1879, that Mr. Roberts first became connected with the company, little dreaming then that he would one day be one of its chief executive officers, yet ambitious at all times to progress. He soon proved his worth, demonstrated his ability and by reason of his faithfulness and able service worked his way steadily upward.
In 1892 Mr. Roberts was united in marriage to Miss Ella L. Robinson, who was born in Brimfield, Peoria county. They have two children, Helen and Judson Edwin. Mr. Roberts is a member of the Masonic fraternity and exemplifies in his life the beneficent spirit of the craft. He has been president of the Creve Coeur Club of Peoria, the leading social organization of the city, and he belongs also to the Peoria Country Club, the Illinois Valley Yacht Club, the Chicago Automobile Club and the Peoria Automobile Club, now serving as the president of the last named. He is furthermore connected in membership relations with the First Congregational church of Peoria and he never promotes business interests at the sacrifice of his obligations to citizenship. On the contrary he finds time and opportunity for cooperation in those things which foster the intellectual, social and moral progress of the city and within his extensive circle of friends is held in the highest esteem. It is said, however, that the individual may best be judged by the way in which he treats those below him in the social scale. If judgment is passed upon Mr. Roberts in this connection the verdict will be one which establishes him in even a higher position in public regard. It is well known that the Avery Company is not only just but generous in its treatment of its employes, which is evidenced by the fact that labor troubles are an unknown thing in their factories. The humblest employe may approach Mr. Roberts with the certainty of securing a courteous hearing and the greater part of his employes he can call by name. He is a man of strong and forceful individuality who has left and is leaving the impress of his personality upon the commercial and industrial development of this city. (Peoria, City and County, Illinois (1912) by James M. Rice, pages 188-189, submitted by Janine Crandell)
Back to top
WILLIAM ROBINSON was born in Jefferson county, Virginia, November 27th, 1805; went with his parents to Champaign county, Ohio, where he remained until 1827; came to Illinois that year; crossed the Illinois river on horseback at Fort Clark, now Peoria city; soon returned to Ohio; came again to Peoria county, and has remained here ever since engaged in farming. He was married in 1833 to Miss Catherine Wiedman, of Champaign county, Ohio. He is the father of six children living; one died in infancy; of those living, Sarah, born September 25, 1834, wife of Griffith Dickerson, lives near Peoria; John W., born March 28, 1836, lives in Kansas; Marion N., born April 23rd, 1839, lives in Medina township; Abram W., born October 19th, 1841, lives near Fort Scott in Missouri; Joseph V. H., born February 16th, 1844, lives at the old homestead in Medina township. Mary L., born April 8th, 1846, wife of John Dutler, of Peoria. Mr. Robinson is an old settler, and fairly represents those liberal hearted old pioneers. (Atlas Map of Peoria County, Illinois, 1873, page 86, submitted by Claire Crandell)
Back to top
b. 23 May 1810 in Delaware, USA
M. Catharine Johnson b.23 May, 1819in Logan Township, Dearborn County, Indian, USA
They had some kids...don't know how many kids they had... I know of at least one Joseph Runnels
Joseph J. Runnels b. 20 May,1845 in Logan Township,
Dearborn County, Indiana, USA d. 04 September, 1908 in Gosper County, Nebraska, USA
First Marriage was Elizabeth B. Craig b. 10 May 1843 in Indiana, USA M. 22
April, 1874 in Dearborn County, Indiana, USA one Child
Grace May Runnels b. 02 March , 1875 in Piatt County, Illinois, USA
2 Marriage was to Sarah Webb M.26 February 1880 in Paitt County, Illinois, USA
Born September, 1860 in Mahornet Township, Champaign County, Illinois, USA
Rollie Simms Runnels b. 03 May, 1881 in Mansfield, Paitt County, Illinois, USA
Guy Alfred Runnels b. 05 April, 1883 in Blue Ridge III or
just Blue Ridge Township, Paitt County, Illinois, USA
Pearl Runnels b. May 1887 in Nebraska
Roy C. Runnels b. May 1897 In Nebraska
Lutie M Runnels b. about 1902
Roy C. Runnels Married Mrena Irene Gibson First they had one child together
Charles Joseph Runnels b. 21 December, 1920 or 1921 in Sterling, Logan
County, Colorado, USA d. 18 April, 1956 I don't know where Charles died at
but Charles is Buried at Riverside Cemetery in Sterling, Logan County, Colorado, USA
Guy Alfred Runnels Married Merna Irene Gibson in Holyoak or
Holyoke, Philliphs or Phillips County, Colorado, USA
Here are there children at least most of them there may be more
1. Earl L. Runnels October, 1923 in Colorado
M Pauline Koster July 22, 1961 in Elwood, Gosper County, Nebraska
2. Kenneth W. Runnels 1925 in Sterling, Logan County, Colorado, USA d 1943
in Messes or Merino, Colorado, USA in world war two 1943 or 1946 or 1948
Kenneth was also buried in Sterling, Logan County, Colorado, USA probably is
Buried in Riverside Cemetery not for sure
3. Loris or Lorise Irene (Runnels) Corbin b.04 April, 1927 in Sterling,
Logan County, Colorado, USA d.16 May, 1968,In Sterling, Logan County, Colorado, USA
Married Raymond C. Corbin in 05 June, 1947 at St. Francis Kansas
4. Deloris Delorise Runnels 1929 in Sterling, Logan County, Colorado, USA
d. 1930 in Sterling, Logan County, Colorado, USA
5. Doris E. Runnels b. 1930 in Sterling, Logan County, Colorado, USA
6. Sarah Ann (Runnels) Schivelbein b. in Brush, Morgan County, Colorado, USA
7. Bernard W. Runnels b. in Sterling, Logan County, Colorado, USA
8. Vivian D. (Runnels) Monheiser b. 1939 in Colorado, USA
M. Shorty Monheiser b. unk d. unk and where unk USA
9. Roberta Mae (Runnels) Harris b. 28 June, 1940 in Brush Morgan County,
Colorado, USA d. 23 December, 2001 in Portland, Multnomah County, Oregon, USA
M. James Wendell Harris on 05 October, 1958 in Sterling, Logan County, Colorado, USA
James Wendell Harris b. 08 January, 1933 In Stark City, Newton County, Missouri, USA
10. Betty Joann (Runnels) Kuerl b. in 1942
M. Gorden or Gordon Kuerl
11. Jerry Lee Runnels b. 1944
I hope you can use this information and it is helpful to you.
If you can help me with my research, please email me... Cindy (Harris) Matney
Back to top
RUTHERFORD, M. D. In eleven years of active practice since his graduation
from Rush Medical College, Dr. Leslie Rutherford has made continuous progress,
experience and further reading adding to his skill and ability. He has been
abroad for further study and keeps in close touch with the most advanced methods
of eminent physicians not only of this country but of the old world. Peoria is
his native city and his natal day was December 27, 1879. He comes of Scotch
ancestry, his grandfather being William Rutherford, a native of Scotland, who
after sailing from the old world to the new, made his way into the interior of
the country, settling in Tennessee in 1849. Soon afterward, however, he came to
Peoria, thus founding the family in this city. His son, R. William Rutherford,
the father of Dr. Rutherford, became a prominent coal merchant here and for many
years occupied a leading position in commercial circles, so that his death,
which occurred in 1901, was the occasion of deep and widespread regret. His wife
bore the maiden name of Isabella Grieves.
Dr. Rutherford was reared in Peoria and attended the public schools, mastering the branches of learning in successive grades until graduated from the high school with the class of 1897. A professional career appeared to him most attractive, and thinking to find the practice of medicine congenial and hoping to find it profitable, he entered Rush Medical College of Chicago in preparation for his chosen life work. He pursued the regular four years' course and was graduated in 1901, being chosen president of his class by his fellow students and being awarded the Benjamin Rush medal by the college. His high standing secured him the position of interne in the Presbyterian Hospital of that city, where he remained for a year. The years 1903 to 1905 he devoted to post-graduate work in Chicago. He then returned to Peoria to take up his permanent abode and in the intervening years has concentrated his energies upon his chosen life work. He practiced here until 1908, when he went abroad, spending a part of that and the succeeding year in the General Hospital at Vienna and also doing considerable work in a hospital in Berlin. He makes a specialty of internal medicine and is serving on the staff of Proctor Hospital. He belongs to the Peoria City Medical Society, the Illinois State Medical Society and the American Medical Association.
In 1904, Dr. Rutherford married Miss Margaret Tallman, of Berkeley, California, and they now have one child, Margaret. Dr. Rutherford is well known in the city where his entire life has been passed save for brief periods when he has absented himself for the purposes of study. Many of his warmest friends are those who have known him from his boyhood to the present and this fact is indicative of an honorable and well spent life. (Peoria, City and County, Illinois (1912) by James M. Rice, pages 292-293, submitted by Janine Crandell)
Back to top
GEORGE A. ROGERS was born in Mamaroneck, Westchester County, N. Y., October 8,
1831. His father, John S. Rogers, was also a native of that county, and was
there married to Mary Ann Sutton, who was a native of Manchester, England. In
1843 they started from their old home in New York to take up their residence in
Peoria County, this State, and while en route, on the Mississippi River, the
father was drowned, but the circumstances are not known. The mother was thus
left with eight children, and they sadly proceeded on their journey to Peoria
County, and on their arrival settled in Jubilee Township, where the children
were reared. The good mother continued to live there until about a year prior to
her death, which occurred at the residence of her daughter, Mrs. Margaret Davis,
in Radnor Township, March 12, 1879, when she was seventy-six years old. She
retained much of her physical vigor till the last, but lost her eyesight about a
year before she died. She was the mother of seven sons and one daughter, our
subject being the third of the family. He was a lad of about twelve years when
they came to Peoria County, where they arrived in July of that year. He remained
with his mother in Jubilee Township until he was twenty-one years old, and soon
after married and settled in Radnor Township, of which he has since been a
resident. He owns here a good farm of one hundred and twenty acres of fine land,
and has placed upon it many substantial improvements.
Our subject is a veteran of the late war. He enlisted in the month of March, 1865, in Company H, Fourteenth Illinois Infantry, and served until the month of September. He was then mustered out of the army at Ft. Leavenworth, Kan., and returning home, quietly resumed his occupation as a farmer. He is one of the prominent citizens of the township. He has represented Radnor as a member of the County Board of Supervisors, holding that office one year, and he has been Justice of the Peace for fourteen years. He formerly took an active part in politics, and was one of the leading Republicans in this section.
Mr. Rogers was wedded, January 1, 1857, to Maria C. Wakefield, the ceremony that made them one being performed at the residence of the late John L. Wakefield, in Radnor Township. Mrs. Rogers is a daughter of said John L. Wakefield, and a history of her parents appears in the sketch of William Wakefield, on another page of this Biographical Album. She was born in Radnor Township, June 15, 1839. She is a conscientious Christian and a member in high standing of the Methodist Episcopal Church. The pleasant wedded life of Mr. and Mrs. Rogers has been blessed to them by the birth of five children, who are named: Adolphus J., May J., Grant S., Olive B. and Gretta I. Adolphus [S.typo?] married Miss Emma Newkirk; May is the wife of Madison Harrison; Grant S. Married Miss Louisa Shehan. (Portrait & Biographical Album of Peoria, Illinois (1890), page 977, submitted by Gaile Thomas)
Back to top
MINNEY RYNEARSON, the
father of the subject of this sketch, was a native of Pennsylvania. He came to
Peoria county, Illinois in 1833, and settled on a farm in Rosefield township,
where he lived until his death, which occurred in 1865.
Ephriam C. Rynearson, the subject of this sketch, was born in Hamilton county, Ohio, March 2, 1814. he lived in Ohio until 1833, and came to Peoria county with his father. In about a year and half from that time he went to Franklin county, Indiana, and was married to Keziah J. Luse, daughter of Robert Luse, Esq., of that county, by whom he had twelve children, eight of whom are living. He brought his wife out on the prairies of Illinois, where with her help, he has made a splendid home for his family.
Mr. Rynearson is thought much of by the people of Rosefield township. He has been elected to many offices of trust. He served as supervisor ten years and as justice of the peace twenty-two years. In 1862 he raised a company for the army, and was appointed captain. He served three months, and was obliged to resign on account of sickness. Mr. Rynearson’s motto is, “When I do anything, I do it with a will.” He has made a home that will stand as a monument to his memory. He owns some fifty hundred acres of good farm and wood land. There are rich coal deposits on his land, some of which are being mined. He farm is well improved, and shows a true farmer at the helm.
On Mr. Rynearson’s estate are three of the original log cabins, which, as we look on them, call for the a remembrance of the hardships and life of the early settlers of Peoria county. (Atlas Map of Peoria County, Illinois, 1873, page 78, submitted by Dan Grachek & wife)
Back to top
Any contributions, corrections, or suggestions would be deeply appreciated!
Copyright © Janine Crandell & all contributors
All rights reserved